Let us begin with the usual disposable pad and tampon. Ya'll already know all about those, so here is an old Kotex advertisement to make you laugh! :) I actually wrote a paper about Kotex in one of my college English Classes! Oh how I wish I still had that paper and those ads. I can only imagine Dr. McCluskey's face when he realized I chose Kotex for my advertisement paper. Hahaha. I miss looking at that man.
Wow we have come a long way! Really "To Save Men's Lives?" I would like to thank Kotex for being the very first company to come out with pads. How did these magical disposable creations come in to being you ask? Well one of our favorite companies Kimberly Clark made a ton of bandages for WWI for the nurses to use. These same nurses decided to try these very same cellulose bandages for sanitary napkins, and Kimberly Clark realized that this was a great idea and marketed it! Kotex stands for Kotton like Texture. They called them that because they didn't think that clerks would snicker about it when asked for them. BUT here is the kicker! They didn't really start selling well until women had the option to put money into a box without speaking to a clerk in order to get a stack of them off of the counter. I bet men nowadays would really appreciate this option! There, perhaps that is something that you didn't know about those pads.
What I like about these ads is that at this point, tampons were for the light days of your period. While this is a Kotex tampon ad, Tampax was the first company to produce tampons (and so begins the journey to getting to insert pearls once a month! Wearing my pearls around my neck and in my cooch.) Guess who invented (excuse me patented) these things? A MAN! Of course! That is why it took so damn long for us to catch on! They have actually been around since the ancient Egyptian times, but I don't find that part very interesting. Something about shoving papyrus...yeah you get it. Anyway back to the man! He invented it, but he sold the patent to a chick we should all name our first born girl after Gertrude Tendrich (yeah, maybe not). She did found the Tampax company! YAY Gertrude!
YAY! We can "experience a comfort and an assurance of daintiness!" Can you imagine these ladies opinions of us these days?! I mean a lot of us are more than happy to bitch about Aunt Flo or being on the rag. They would definitely not consider us very ladylike.
On to another form of protection! I have to admit ladies. I have tried this one. This is a disposable cup. You use it Instead of a pad or tampon (enjoy the pun. I know I did.)
I know, I know! You want to know what it looks like.
They say you can wear these for up to 12 hours. They say you can have sex with this thing in. I don't know if I would be willing to try that. I did tell you that I have tried this thing before. Honestly, it is really not that bad......until you go to take it out. It is a bloody mess. (I think I have told ya'll about this before) Since we are on the discussion of this disposable cup, I have to tell you about my research that I have done tonight. There are actually reusable cups!
I introduce you to The Moon Cup
This baby is supposed to last you 10 whole years. You just keep reusing it. Think of all of the money saved. This baby will run you about 20 (-35) bucks. They claim it is not a messy removal, but I imagine it takes some practice. I hate to say it ladies, but I would seriously consider trying this BECAUSE you have 3 months to decide if you like it. There is a money back guarantee. They also have two other types of these things called The Diva and The Keeper.
Gladrags however, I will not try. I think it is just the name. It sounds like I am using a reusable gladware container called a rag. Gladrags are reusable pads. Yes. You can wash your pads with your clothes. YAY! No. One person suggests to leave a container with cold water, borax, and Dr. Bronner's Soap, so you can throw your used pads in it. I don't know how you would ever explain that to an unexpected guest who has to go to the bathroom immediately when they get to your home. " I am trying to save the world one pad at a time." "Hey, at least our future family won't find a floating island of pads that I used."
And there ya have it ladies. Your menstrual protection choices. :) 






I have always wondered what kind of weird would try one of those cups...now I know!
ReplyDeleteHahaha totally me.
ReplyDelete