Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The week of Christmas I worked 55 hours.
The week of New Years I worked 65 hours.
The week after that I was supposed to work 55 hours again....JT had other plans. 

I got home from work the night of the 3rd of January.  I was so exhausted, but I was so happy because I was finally not having to close my store.  Both of my shift supervisors had put in their notices several weeks before, but my boss had not been as proactive as he was claiming regarding finding me some help.  I get home the night of the 3rd, and Jack was making dinner.  He made chili and baked potatoes because that is what I really wanted.  I tell him I am going to change out of my work clothes before dinner, so I go into our bedroom in our house that I had yet to spend more than 7 continuous hours in (Thank you Rite Aid).  I run to pee because well I am sure JT is stomping on my bladder.  Little booger.  I put on some pajama pants, and I start to walk out of my bathrooom.  All of the sudden I am wet.  I just kind of shrug it off thinking that I should probably get used to this randomly peeing on myself thing.  I swap into another pair of pajama pants.  I start to walk into the living room.  All of the sudden I am wet again.  I realize that something isn't quite right.  I stand in the living room where Jack can see me.  I just stand there totally bewildered. This cannot be happening.  He asks me if I am ok.  I tell him that I will let him know in a minute.  I return to the bathroom, and I sit on the toliet.  Water that I cannot stop is leaking out of me.  I am still a little dumbfounded.  This cannot seriously be happening!  Jack walks into the bathroom to check on me.  He says, "Are you ok?" I say, "My water just broke.  We need to go to the hospital now!"  In this instant, I am thinking that my usually panicky husband is going to flip out and not know what to do.  He is quite the opposite.  He looks at me and says, "Ok.  I will get the car."  He puts all of the dogs up.  Pulls the car out of the garage and into the driveway to the front door.  I search for a huge pad that I can use to control this fluid slowly leaking out of me. Then I grab my home charger for my phone because I know I am going to need it.  My husband helps me into the car, and we start driving to StoneCrest.  I call my mom and let her know that we are on our way to the hospital.  She asks me all the details, and she tells me to call her when I get to the ER.  The whole ride to the hospital I am strangely calm because I don't want my husband to have a panic attack while he is driving no matter how calm he appears. 
    We arrive at StoneCrest's ER, and I make Jack park vs. dropping me off at the door.  I mean, I am not completely helpless.  I CAN still walk.  We walk in and discover that we have to navigate how to check in at the ER.  What the heck ever happened to talking to a person?  I sit down.  Then I hear my name.  Thank goodness!  They are already calling me back.  Wrong.  I am just getting my bracelet.  I sit back down.  The liquid is starting to soak through my pants.  I am so thankful that I have a long jacket on.  My name is called again.  I am taken back into a little room.  I answer questions such as "Why are you here?" "What pregnancy is this?"  Thank you so much for making me think about that now that my current baby's life is in danger.  Etc, etc.  I then have to go over to the window to give all of my insurance information.  I am not even acknowledged at first.  When I finally am, Jack notices that my parents are already in the ER.  The nurse lets them back with us.  While I am giving my information, my wheelchair arrives.  My mom takes over giving them my information, and I am immediately whisked off to L&D triage.  I have to change into one of those hideous hospital gowns.  I am terribly afraid to remove my underwear because I know I am going to be leaking all over the place.  Thankfully when I get back to the bed.  The nurse is back and puts what looks like a puppy pad on the bed.  Jack even mentions that, and she says, "That's basically all it is."  The nurse lets me get comfortable in the bed.  She proceeds to take all of my vitals.  She says that she is going to check to see if my water has infact broken with this ...proceeds to lift sheet without finishing her sentence..."Oh yeah, your water broke."  I then get an IV for the first time in my life.  Ow!  During my time waiting on my OB/GYN to get there my parents and Jack swap out coming in to talk to me.  When my doctor gets there, she checks me.  She says that my cervix is closed, but I am going to have to be transported to Centennial.  They have the best NICU in the area.  That is where I need to be, and that is where I will stay until I give birth.  I also immediately have a steroid shot in my hip to help with JT's lung development.  I then play the waiting game again.  I have to wait for transport to come get me.  When they finally get there, I swap over to their skinny gurney to be transported.  I proceed to be quickly moved through the hospital towards the ambulance.  My mom is still with me, and all I can think is, "Oh God.  I don't think she will be able to handle me being put into the back of an ambulance." I later find out that she does walk away when they are putting me in.
  The paramedic that is in the back with me puts the blood pressure cuff on me.  It cuts off all circulation when it cuts on every 10 minutes.  She talks to me the entire ride to Centennial.  Thankfully both paramedics are very friendly.  We even listen to decent music during the ride!  When we get to Centennial, they take me out of the ambulance.  I look up and all I see are the white beams above me.  They wheel me into the hospital straight to the elevator.  I see a statue of a mother and her child.  We get into an elevator, and I am taken straight to the 6th floor.  The doors open.  My mother in law is there.  Oh geez!  Why is she here?  She starts to talk to me.  I am not ready to talk to anyone yet.  I just want my husband with me.  They ask her to step out of the room while I move on to the bed that will be my bed for the rest of my stay.  My nurse, Alix, starts to hook me up to my IVs and give me my extra hospital jewelry (oh those fabulous bracelets!).  My mother in law comes back in, and I try to explain to her that I am not having JT that day.  They are going to do everything they can to keep him in as long as possible.  She was planning on staying until he came until I told her that.  Jack finally gets to the hospital.  The doctor comes in to talk to me.  My mother in law proceeds to talk to Jack the entire time that the doctor is in room.  He misses 90% of what the doctor says.  Anger does not even begin to describe my feelings about that.  She keeps telling Jack, "They are just going to scare her telling her all of that."  Ummmm no!  I need to know what the hell is happening to me, and I need Jack to help me remember everything.  All I know is that they are starting me on magnesium, or as I like to call it "The Devil."

No comments:

Post a Comment